Are you in the driver's seat of your own career, or do you feel like you are living a work life that you have little control over?
A sense of control matters more to some people than others, but when your career is being dictated by other people then it is time to take stock.
How do you know if someone else is pulling your Career Strings?
- Are you currently working on a project or task that isn't what you want to do, but it is what you have been pigeonholed doing at your workplace?
- Are your requests to change your position within the company being ignored because you are "so good at what you do that we couldn't do it without you" or words to that effect?
- Did you enter your current work because someone else suggested it would be good for you, or because of subtle pressure from family?
- Do you go to work each day, wishing you were going somewhere else but feeling like there is no alternative?
- Do you have unresolved career dreams but others have told you that they are unrealistic or impractical so forget them?
It is time for you to take charge of your own career! You owe it to yourself. Being miserable at work is one of the greatest causes of stress and of subsequent health issues. It also flows through to your attitudes to every other aspect of your life, your relationships, your opportunities and your self-esteem.
So I challenge you to ask yourself who is pulling your career strings?