Getting a job these days is not always easy. Achieving a successful career is even more difficult. Because many organisations struggle to keep afloat in the economic downturn, prioritising their worker's career development is their least priority. This is why taking control and managing your own career is very important if you want to achieve a successful career change or climb up the career ladder.
Climbing up the career ladder is something that you should focus on. Here are some steps to get you started:
- Do your job wholeheartedly. Be passionate about your daily role. When you put your heart into what you do, you will end up productive and will progress in your career.
- Develop your interpersonal skills. People with great interpersonal skills achieve the respect and trust of their managers and co-workers. Treat each of your co-worker equally no matter what their position in the organisation. Learn to listen and become effective in relating to your peers.
- Work with a career mentor. According to surveys, most promotions happen when an employee starts working with a career mentor. He or she can provide guidance and all resources necessary to successfully achieve career success or create a career change. Clarity Career Management offers outstanding assistance and career development programs to ensure that workers develop strong management skills for the rest of their career. Contact us now for more information.
- Learn the art of self-promotion. If you want to climb up the career ladder, you have to learn how to market yourself and prove to everyone that you are an asset to the company. Lead projects whenever possible, and assist your colleagues in tasks you think your skills will be of great use.
- Be proactive in developing your network. Networking is a key strategy in career development. Opportunities to advance in your career can come from sources within your network. Join professional networking activities and take advantage of networking events within your organisation.