According to surveys, a person’s career satisfaction is directly related to how much he or she feels appreciated at work. With the tough career competition today, it is very common for managers to overlook the need of an employee to be recognised for the work he or she does.
Everyone has felt it at some point of their career. Many workers don’t see the point of doing their best and increasing their productivity because they feel taken for granted. If you are one of the many workers whose efforts remain unnoticed, here are some tips to turn the tables and achieve career success:
- Work hard no matter how underappreciated you feel. Doing this sends a strong message that you deserve all the recognition in the world. This is the best way for your boss to notice you and reward you with a promotion or a raise. Let your work speak for itself.
- Talk to your boss. Ask him or her how he or she views your work or if there are things that you need to improve at work. Seek his or her feedback. By being proactive with your career management and showing your boss that you are serious about getting things done, you will boost your reputation at work.
- Volunteer to do the hard work. Help out in difficult tasks especially those that will allow you to showcase your skills and expertise. Make every effort to be noticed. Accept challenging tasks if you can do it.
- Sometimes, our feeling of being underappreciated is related to money matters. If you feel that you deserve a raise, talk to your boss about it but make sure that you maintain your professionalism. It is also important to make sure you can justify why you deserve a raise, so knowing you have been working beyond the demands of your work role gives you the confidence and evidence to ask for greater remuneration.
- Consult with a career coach. An experienced career coach is a helpful person to talk to about career matters. Their expertise in career development will help you understand what will give you career satisfaction. They are capable of assisting you in making career decisions and creating effective career success strategies.
Your worklife can sometimes seem unfair but by genuinely contributing at work and ensuring that your achievements are noticed you will enhance your career success. If things aren’t going as you expected them to, don’t give up. The key to being appreciated at work is to work hard, implement a career plan and establish connections within and outside your organisation, so you have a strong network to support your next career transition. Achieve your career dreams with the help of an outstanding Clarity Career Management coach. Contact us to learn more!